Thursday, December 13, 2007

I'm beat!

"At lilac evening I walked with every muscle aching among the lights of 27th and Welton ... in Denver ... feeling that the best ... (my) world had offered (me) was not enough ecstasy ... not enough life, kicks, darkness, music, not enough night." - Jack Kerouac -
I've just finished reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac, and i'm filled with a burning desire to travel and see the world. The same feeling so many people were filled with after reading the book back in the 50s when it was originaly published. The books madness is in its writing, the driving force is the outrageous Dean Moriarty (Neal Cassady). It makes you feel alive, your senses wider then ever before, colours brighter. It could possibly be the best book i've ever read and there is so much more to learn from the 'beat generation'. This is my first step into a larger world.

3 Comments:

Blogger George said...

I loved On The Road until I read Catcher In The Rye then I realised what loving a book truly means. I recommend you target that one sometime soon.

December 14, 2007 6:37 PM  
Blogger Ashley Russell said...

Funnily enough after finishing on the road i almost did get Catcher in the Rye, i've heard much about it but my friend said not a lot happens and is not that great. I admitt, it put me off. I've ended up getting another Kerouac book 'the Dharma bums'.

December 15, 2007 10:09 AM  
Blogger George said...

It depends on how you look at the book. Not a lot happens in a standard story way but what's happening in terms of the kid finding his place and purpose in the adult world is huge.

Dharma Bums is very high standard Kerouac too although for me his last book Big Sur is the real rival to On The Road. It's amazing to think it took him another 10 years to die after writing that account of his already downward spiralling life..

December 16, 2007 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home