Saturday, September 16, 2006

Brick- film of the year?


I finally got to see Rian Johnson’s debut film Brick today. It is an acclaimed detective story about a man who must find out who murdered the girl he loved. The twist is that it’s set in an American high school with its own lingo.

I’d heard great things about it and previously mentioned it on my blog back in April and planned to see it at the cinema but it didn’t come out anywhere near me and at the time I had no car.

Criticisms of the film have been the use of lingo like ‘duck soup’ which means easy pickings and other words which makes the dialogue hard to follow. I was well prepared for this but still found the dialogue a little hard to follow especially when it’s so important to following the story. But it didn’t take me out of the film but instead made me concentrate a lot more. I felt immediately engaged in the world the director has created wasn’t affected by the fact that its set in a high school, in fact it just made it more interesting.

I thought the characters were well established and the acting was overall excellent from the rising stars. I especially liked the protagonist that had a bit of Bogart about him at times.

The DVD comes out Monday.

1 Comments:

Blogger George said...

I liked this film, but my main criticism of it is that it was so cool and knew it, that it actually reduced the overall quality of the piece.

September 25, 2006 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home